[SciPy-dev] trouble building from svn

Mon Nov 30 22:37:06 CST 2009

Darren Dale wrote:
> I am attempting to build scipy from svn sources on OS X 10.6. I get
> the following error, could anyone please advise?
>
> C compiler: gcc-4.2 -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -Os -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
> -arch x86_64 -pipe

Most likely you have LDFLAGS defined in your environment, which screws
up the build. LDFLAGS (and other similar variables) do not work as
expected with distutils, they *override* the options instead of
completing them.

The actual error is that the link step is missing the -shared option,
hence the missing errors, as the linker tries to build an executable.

cheers,

David