[SciPy-dev] Volunteer for Scipy Project

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith@gmail....
Fri Oct 2 15:14:48 CDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 5:24 AM, Arkapravo Bhaumik <
arkapravobhaumik@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Sir/Ma'am
>>
>> I was in e-mail contact with one of your colleagues , Travis ;  I am very
>> interested in contributing to scipy project as a volunteer. I believe that I
>> can contribute in
>>
>> (1) Documentation

Arkapravo,

Great!  As far as helping with the documentation is concerned, here's what
you do:

0) Visit and read docs.scipy.org/numpy

1) As it says there, register a username at
http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/accounts/register

2) Subscribe to scipy-dev@scipy.org at
username created in Step 1) along with an explanation that you would like
docstring editing privileges.  (Subscribing is not strictly necessary - an
alternative is described at 0) - but all numpy and scipy development and
documentation issues are discussed there, so it really is the most
convenient way to communicate with the development community.)

3) Once you receive confirmation of your editing privileges, you can login
and visit http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/Milestones and
http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/docs/ to see numpy docstrings that need editing
(relatively few now) and http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/Milestones for scipy
docstrings that need editing (still plentiful). (Before you edit, be sure to
have read, at a minimum,
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/wiki/CodingStyleGuidelines#docstring-standard
.)

4) Questions can be posted here, in the Discussion section following each
individual docstring editing page, or at the Q+A page
http://docs.scipy.org/nump/Questions+Answers/.

Thanks again,

David Goldsmith
Technical Editor