[SciPy-dev] Generic polynomials class (was Re: Volunteer for Scipy Project)

Mon Oct 12 19:14:35 CDT 2009

2009/10/9 Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com>:

> It's not inheritence, it's a class templaate.  Because classes are objects
> in python you can return them from functions.with a defined enviroment.
> Another way to look at it is completions. A basis would just be another
> passed parameter. and the class code would still only heed to be written
> once for all the different types of polynnomial basis.. I think it is a
> cleaner way to go.

Upon reflection, I think you were right about wanting the polynomial
code in the polynomial classes themselves. I've implemented this in
the git branch "twoclass"; there, when you implement a new
representation of polynomials, you write a new subclass of Polynomial
and a new subclass of Basis, and polynomials are created with
"basis.polynomial(coefficients)".

Anne