[SciPy-dev] Generic polynomials class (was Re: Volunteer for Scipy Project)

Sebastian Walter sebastian.walter@gmail....
Tue Oct 13 09:06:59 CDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 4:08 AM, Sebastian Walter
> <sebastian.walter@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> IMHO one should adhere to the KISS principle and separate the
>> algorithms from the syntactic sugar.
>> It also seems to me that hiding the base of the polynomial from the
>> user is actually a bad thing.
>>

> It is kiss. You have the separate functions (which is what Robert wanted),
> and an interface that is reused. What it buys is complete code reuse in the
> interface as well as the ability to limit the operators to classes of the
> same sort. Inheritance doesn't really work for this because we don't want to
> operate on a common base class (is a relationship). But I think we do want
> every class to operate with itself in a similar manner.
>
>> As far as I understood, Robert Kern suggested the following a few weeks
>> ago:
>> 1) define the algorithms on the coefficients as class methods to avoid
>> name cluttering
>
> That was my initial thought: static methods. But I don't think that is what
> Robert had in mind, I think he just wanted to be sure the basic functions
> were available as standalone functions and not just methods of some class.
>

>> 2) have a convenience implementation that uses operator overloading
>>

> The classes do that.

Hmm, ok, I think you are right. I changed my code it now uses a class factory.

import numpy as np

class PowerBaseOps(object):
    @classmethod
    def mul(cls,lhs_coeffs, rhs_coeffs):
        return np.convolve(lhs_coeffs, rhs_coeffs, mode='full')

def poly_factory(BaseOps, dtype):
    """ produces polynomials with dtype coefficients"""

    class PolyClass(object):
        def __init__(self, coeffs):
            self.coeffs = np.asarray(coeffs, dtype=dtype)

        def __mul__(self,rhs):
            return PolyClass(BaseOps.mul(self.coeffs, rhs.coeffs))

        def __str__(self):
            return str(self.coeffs)

    return PolyClass

if __name__ == '__main__':
    PowerPolynomial = poly_factory(PowerBaseOps, float)
    IntPowerPolynomial = poly_factory(PowerBaseOps, int)

    x = PowerPolynomial([1.,2.])
    y = PowerPolynomial([3.,4.])
    z = x * y
    print z
    print  PowerBaseOps.mul([1.,2.],[3.,4.])

    i = IntPowerPolynomial([1,2])
    j = IntPowerPolynomial([3,4])

    k = i * j
    print k