[SciPy-dev] Generic polynomials class (was Re: Volunteer for Scipy Project)

Pauli Virtanen pav+sp@iki...
Tue Oct 13 09:14:13 CDT 2009

Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:00:30 -0600, Charles R Harris wrote:
[clip]
> I just don't think inheritance is appropriate here. I'll admit the
> proposed implementation has a magicky flavor, but in my case that
> arises because the programming idiom using closures is unfamiliar. In
> C++ what I would have is a templated class, but python doesn't have
> such,  while it does have closures.
[clip]

If you also change the class names dynamically in the factory, there'll
be less user confusion.

Anyway, you write the code, you call the shots :)

[clip]
> The dog/cat cross didn't raise an error as it should. Dog and Cat really
> need to be different classes.

You're right, maybe breeding dogs with cats is not such a bright idea.

--
Pauli Virtanen