[SciPy-dev] Generic polynomials class (was Re: Volunteer for Scipy Project)

Tue Oct 13 17:01:37 CDT 2009

2009/10/13 Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Anne Archibald <peridot.faceted@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> In the Basis objects, there is room for massive code reuse - I have
>> generic companion matrix and root-finding code that works for any
>> polynomial representation that admits division, for example. Extending
>> coefficient arrays by padding with zeros works for any GradedBasis
>> (and in fact it's possible to write a division algorithm that works
>> for any GradedBasis). This takes natural advantage of a class
>> hierarchy among the bases.
>>

> But those basis objects return a ton of NotImplementedErrors, which means
> that somewhere down the line the methods have to be implemented. That was
> one of the problems that I wanted to get around, because it leaves too much
> code to be written. And makes having different implementations for the
> methods, i.e., cython or Fortran, less transparent than just writing a set
> of base functions (add, sub, etc.) in those languages. But I think we are
> starting from somewhat different places. To me, the base functions were
> primary and the classes conveniences built on top of them. That is more
> flexible, IMHO, and doesn't tie one into a big system of class inheritance,
> etc., which is one of the drawbacks I see in a lot in C++ projects. The GNU
> scientific library would be an example of that where the pieces get tangled
> up in the whole.

I'm not sure I see why returning all those NotImplementedErrors is a
problem - yes, the code needs to be written to override the methods
that return NotImplementedError, but that code needs to be written no
matter how we set up an interface to it. And having the base class
allows us to take any code that is the same between bases - like the
companion matrix code - and put it in the base class. So the only
"wasted" code here is the one-line wrappers that return
NotImplementedError, and these serve as documentation for users - any
such method is something they're going to have to implement for their
own polynomial representations. If you look at the three different
representations I have currently implemented, there isn't really much
repeated code.

This approach - of having an abstract base class whose operations are
defined but not implemented - is a common design, albeit more common
in languages that don't use duck-typing. There's no reason I couldn't
just omit those methods from the base class, but I think they serve a
useful documentary function.

> I think your method of getting the companion matrix is clever, and having
> definitions for zero, one, and x is a useful touch that should probably be
> part of any interface. I'm less convinced by the use of an empty list for
> zero.

This choice is a natural one in some ways, because it means you never
normally have a leading coefficient of zero for polynomials of any
degree. It also means degree = len(coefficients)-1, apart from
polynomials that are represented in a degree-inflated manner. And the
places you need to special-case it are almost all places you would
need to special-case zero polynomials anyway. I realize it may not be
so convenient for a vector-of-coefficients interface, but I think even
there it's the natural approach.

Anne