[SciPy-dev] Proposed generic docstring for attributes of class generic

Wed Oct 21 12:14:47 CDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 6:52 PM, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 2:56 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com
> > wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 12:38 AM, David Goldsmith <
>> d.l.goldsmith@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Short summary: Not implemented (virtual attribute)
>>>
>>> Extended summary: Class generic exists solely to derive numpy scalars
>>> from, and possesses, albeit unimplemented, all the attributes of the ndarray
>>> class so as to provide a uniform API.
>>

>>> See Also: the corresponding attribute of the derived class of interest.
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>>

>> I saw you put this in the wiki already. One thing that is wrong is the See
>> Also on each page, instead of the default text it needs the right link, i.e.
>> for numpy.generic.sum refer to ndarray.sum.
>>

> Umm, why, exactly?  Generic is the base class for scalars and doesn't
> really have anything to do w/ ndarray.

Just saying that it makes no sense to have broken links in html docs. Look
at it here:
http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/docs/numpy.generic.sum/

See Also can be deleted or fixed, either one is fine with me.

Cheers,
Ralf