[SciPy-dev] scipy.test() failures

Neil Killeen nkilleen@unimelb.edu...
Mon Oct 26 18:18:15 CDT 2009

David

On 27/10/2009, at 10:06 AM, David Warde-Farley wrote:

> On 22-Oct-09, at 6:23 PM, Neil Killeen wrote:
>
>> 2. When I tried to run scipy.test()  I saw errors.  They are in two
>> categories:
>>
>>  ERROR: Failure: ImportError (/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/
>> scipy/linalg/fblas.so: undefined symbol: srotmg_)
>>
>> and
>>
>> ImportError: cannot import name {linalg, calc_lwork}
>>
>> Perhaps the latter are due to the former ?
>>

>> 3. I read in the FAQ that the solution to the srotmg error is to
>> install blas myself either from netlib or via ATLAS
>>
>> 4. I decided to do the easy thing and installed blas from netlib in /
>> usr/local/lib/libblas.a
>
> How did you install it? Did you compile from source?

yes from source

> What about lapack?

i am using the system version, /usr/lib  The FAQ states that the
srotmg error is a BLAS
error and that I should install from netlib which I did.

I didn't see any other LAPACK errors but of course they may be
obscured by the blas
error.

> Can you paste the output of numpy.show_config() and
> scipy.show_config()?

Sure:

 >>> scipy.show_config()
blas_info:
     libraries = ['blas']
     library_dirs = ['/usr/local/lib']
     language = f77

lapack_info:
     libraries = ['lapack']
     library_dirs = ['/usr/lib']
     language = f77

atlas_threads_info:
   NOT AVAILABLE

blas_opt_info:
     libraries = ['blas']
     library_dirs = ['/usr/local/lib']
     language = f77
     define_macros = [('NO_ATLAS_INFO', 1)]

atlas_blas_threads_info:
   NOT AVAILABLE

umfpack_info:
   NOT AVAILABLE

lapack_opt_info:
     libraries = ['lapack', 'blas']
     library_dirs = ['/usr/lib', '/usr/local/lib']
     language = f77
     define_macros = [('NO_ATLAS_INFO', 1)]

atlas_info:
   NOT AVAILABLE

lapack_mkl_info:
   NOT AVAILABLE

blas_mkl_info:
   NOT AVAILABLE

atlas_blas_info:
   NOT AVAILABLE

mkl_info:
   NOT AVAILABLE

so it's picking up the /usr/local/lib   version of blas that I installed

 >>> numpy.show_config()
blas_info:
     libraries = ['blas']
[...]

This was built prior to scipy and uses the /usr/lib  versions.

numpy passes all of its internal tests and I assume
scipy can utilize whatever functional installation is present ?

thanks
Neil