[SciPy-dev] scipy.test() failures

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Mon Oct 26 21:33:06 CDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Neil Killeen <nkilleen@unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> I'm a bit confused by all the various packagings (bear in mind I am
> just installing this for end users, I'm not a consumer myself).
> By going to netlib, which I thought was the home of BLAS,
> I *did* install from source.
> ATLAS seems to be repackaging/reimpl of LAPACK and BLAS ?
> Installing ATLAS seemed rather a lot of bother so I was trying
> the easy path,

You should not bother with atlas at first - I am sure building it for
Itanium will be a pain.

There are several things to check for with your build against the
version from NETLIB website:
 - to check which libraries are actually linked, look at the output of
ldd on scipy/lapack/fblas.so
 - to check for symbols, the output of nm is very useful as well. In
particular, depending on the fortran compiler, option and
architecture, the actual name of the function may be different, this
is important to know as well: is it srotgm, _srotgm_, _srotgm, etc...
Comparing the name from your custom built libblas.a against the name
in scipy/lapack/fblas.so should hint at the problem as well.

David