[SciPy-dev] source repository in http://scikits.appspot.com/

Janto Dreijer jantod@gmail....
Wed Sep 2 19:37:14 CDT 2009

Hi Josef!

It's almost 3am over here and about to fall asleep, so please excuse
any grammatical curiosities.

I wrote the scikits website and would just like to confirm some of
your suspicions.

As you probably noticed your package automatically appeared at
http://scikits.appspot.com/statsmodels because it is listed on PyPI.

My initial design thoughts were to have the scikits site piggy-back on
PyPI. It's currently configured to search PyPI for packages with
"scikits" in its name. It also scans
http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scikits/trunk for packages. And yes,
unfortunately, it does not seem as if PyPI has any field for
repository information.

Whether any of this should change, is in my opinion, debatable. The
scikits website is currently supposed to just be an index of available
packages. PyPI looks to be focused on listing "versioned" releases for
easy_install and not active repository code.

So I think the best place for repo checkout instructions are on the
package's own website. If you have different ideas on this, I'd be
happy to reconsider and change things.

Regards
Janto