[SciPy-dev] source repository in http://scikits.appspot.com/

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Sep 3 02:10:17 CDT 2009

2009/9/3 David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 00:44, David
>> Cournapeau<david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:

>>> I am afraid this may break easy-install, as easy-install looks for
>>> tarballs at the download-url meta-data if the package is not found in pypi.
>>>

>> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools
>>
>> """
>> So, if your url or download_url point either directly to a
>> downloadable source distribution, or to HTML page(s) that have direct
>> links to such, then EasyInstall will be able to locate downloads
>> automatically. If you want to make Subversion checkouts available,
>> then you should create links with either #egg=project or
>> #egg=project-version added to the URL. You should replace project and
>> version with the values they would have in an egg filename. (Be sure
>> to actually generate an egg and then use the initial part of the
>> filename, rather than trying to guess what the escaped form of the
>> project name and version number will be.)
>> """
>>

> I am afraid I don't quite understand the above paragraph. Does it mean
> you can have both tarball and checkout made available through this
> mechanism, as long as download_url contain link to both of them ?

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#package-index-api

As far as easy_install is concerned, it is only looking at the web
page and scraping links with the rel="download" attribute. It doesn't
care whether that is in the "Download URL" spot of the official PyPI
metadata or not.

The download_url metadata of distutils can only accept one URL,
though. One option is to have the Homepage have links to the release
tarballs and the Download URL point to the SVN repository, and also
upload release tarballs to PyPI where possible.

Here is one example of a project that has an SVN repo as its Download URL:

  http://pypi.python.org/pypi/grokproject

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."