[SciPy-dev] [Fwd: Re: license status of your code on netlib]

John Hunter jdh2358@gmail....
Thu Sep 10 12:26:14 CDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:07 PM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> On a side note, due to this I have read
>>> http://scipy.org/License_Compatibility and as a developer who writes
>>> BSD and GPL licenced code, I find the section 'John Hunter's License
>>> Pitch' not very suiting.
>>
>> I have deleted it. I too do not like having a polemic on a page that
>> should just be describing the facts of license compatibility.

While I did not add that to the scipy page, I did write that some time
ago.  In the interim, I have significantly toned down the language in
the version on the mpl website

  http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/devel/coding_guide.html#licenses

The polemic started it's life as a response to a question about
licenses on the mailing list, some people found it useful, and someone
posted it on the wiki.  But I agree, it is best to tone down any
rhetoric about licenses so the removal is a good thing.

JDH