[SciPy-dev] [Fwd: Re: license status of your code on netlib]

Thu Sep 10 21:30:01 CDT 2009

alan@ajackson.org wrote:
>> 2009/9/10 Eric Firing <efiring@hawaii.edu>:
>> To read things like " 1) Go with GPL and lose the mind-share of the
>> private sector 2) Forgo GPL code and retain the contribution of the
>> private sector." is just plain stupid in a day and age that private
>> companies spend huge amounts in releasing and writing (L)GPL code.
>> The same shoe just does not fit all feet, also many companies fear BSD
>> for their own products they want to open source.
>>

> Well I can assure you that at *my* company, we cannot use GPL code.

I think that in the context of scipy, we should be very down to earth
and practical: if you want your code to be in scipy, you have to use a
BSD license. I much prefer the GPL to BSD due to the reciprocity idea,
and yet, 95 % of my open source contribution is under the BSD because I
mostly contribute to numpy, scipy and scons, which all fall under this
kind of license.

cheers,

David