[SciPy-dev] SciPy SVN compilation on SnowLeopard

David Warde-Farley dwf@cs.toronto....
Wed Sep 16 02:07:16 CDT 2009

On 16-Sep-09, at 2:39 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:

> You can use the --user option of install (available in 2.6 and above).
> This will install stuff into $HOME/.local, and
> $HOME/.local/lib/python2.6/site-packages is automatically added to
> sys.path by python.
>
> Or use virtualenv, stow, whatever tool you may prefer to handle
> multiple
> versions of those packages,

I find the safest way is to install Python.org's binaries and modify
your path to use /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Version/2.6/bin
before the corresponding /System... path. Then you can keep this
Python's site-packages clean (and use --user and virtualenv too, if
you wish).

David