[SciPy-dev] reimplementation of lfilter

Wed Sep 23 20:37:55 CDT 2009

Sturla Molden wrote:
> Mingw (g++) will statically link its own C++ runtime.  DLLs compiled
> with g++ do not share C++ runtime. This obviously is a problem if you
> need to propagate an exception from one DLL to another. MS Visual C++
> does not have this issue.

yes it does, when you mix C runtimes (/MD vs /MDd for example),
different C++ code is compiled with different incompatible options, or
when you mix mingw and msvc (Those are all concrete problems I had to
solve on windows at one point or the other BTW).

Those problems are not c++ specific, but they are much more manageable
in C than in C++. Interoperability with C++ from other languages is a
known problem - given that numpy supports so many compilers and
platforms, and that using 'weird' compilers is common in scientific
computing, I don't think it worths the hassle in most cases.

cheers,

David