[SciPy-Dev] test output 0.7.2rc1

Thu Apr 1 21:21:43 CDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:06 AM, David Cournapeau <david@silveregg.co.jp>wrote:

> Ralf Gommers wrote:
>
> > 2. why am I warned about using fblas instead of cblas?
>
> I don't know, those have always confused me. AFAICS, those are reliques
> from old scipy code, I don't think they matter (I think we should remove
> them).
>
> Okay, will ignore this for now then and come back to it later.

> > 3. There seems to be a problem with the N_GSYM symbol, any idea what that
> > complaint is about (see partial build log at the bottom of this mail)?
>
> This one is new to me, I have never seen it before. Looks like a problem
> with gfortran on mac os x. We should first see if the issue stays with
> the following issue:
>
> > Built with
> > $ export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.0
> > $ export CXX=/usr/bin/c++-4.0
>
> I think whatever issue happens with the actual gcc version should be
> fixed - we should not rely on gcc 4.0 on Snow Leopard, and this is not
> needed (the -mlong-branch warning is linked to this).

Default gcc on Snow Leopard is 4.2, which does not work with the 10.4 SDK.
When we discussed this before you thought that my SDK was broken, but that
is not the case. It is linked to http://bugs.python.org/issue6957. That
issue was closed but not actually resolved - just ignored because python
itself is still built on OS X 10.5. There are bug reports and threads for
many python extensions about this issue.

The "$ export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.0" is unnecessary by the way (gcc-4.0 is
picked up by default cause that's what python is built with), but "$ export
CXX=/usr/bin/c++-4.0" is needed. c++-4.2 and 10.4SDK are not compatible.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the problem, we can either:
- decide the N_GSYM thing is not an issue
- build against 10.5 or 10.6 SDK, which requires changes to distutils.
- build the binaries on 10.5 (Leopard). But I don't have that available.

Cheers,
Ralf