[SciPy-Dev] Questions about docs

Fri Apr 2 01:17:51 CDT 2010

David Cournapeau wrote:
> Warren Weckesser wrote:
>
>> Each package has the file "info.py" (e.g. scipy/linalg/info.py) that
>> contains a docstring.  For linalg, roughly the same information is in
>> doc/source/linalg.rst.  Which is the file that is currently maintained,
>> and which can we get rid of?  Running "make html" in doc/ uses the .rst
>> file, but the corresponding web page at docs.scipy.org
>> (http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy.linalg/) appears to be from the
>> file info.py.
>>
>> More basic question:  when I have the trunk checked out, what is "the
>> way" to build the docs?
>>

> If you want to build the doc for the scipy you have in your trunk, you
> need to build and install scipy first (so that the docstrings can be
> extracted).
>
> The way I do it when generating the scipy binaries is:
> 	- create a virtual env and activate it
> 	- install scipy through python setupsconsegg.py install (or setupegg.py
> - I prefer using scons because I can build scipy very quickly on a
> multicore machine)
> 	- then build the doc (cd doc && make html)

Thanks.  I've just been doing "python setup.py build", and then setting
PYTHONPATH to the "lib..." subdirectory of build/ when I want to switch
to the trunk version of scipy.

So, the HTML documentation for, say, linalg, comes from
doc/source/linalg.rst, but the actual docstring associated with
scipy.linalg comes from info.py.  The format of the two files is
different--the .rst file uses a lot more sphinx automation goodness--so
I guess they both have to be maintained.  But it sure would be nice if,
say, the .rst file could be generated from the docstring in info.py.

Warren