[SciPy-Dev] How to remove depreciated stats functions?

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Tue Apr 6 14:27:03 CDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there a formal policy to fully depreciate the following stats functions?
> mean
> median
> std
> var
> samplestd
> samplevar
> cov
> corrcoef
> stderr
>
> Really can we either remove them, say they will be gone in 0.8 or
> directly equate them to numpy version (ie 'mean=np.mean')?

Many of them are already gone and raise an exception (mean, var, std,..)

some others are under depreciation warning during 0.8. cycle and I
guess will be removed in 0.9 (samplestd, samplevar and I think
corrcoef and stderr).
I need to check, but I think all of them delegate to the numpy
functions, but use the old scipy default options for backwards
compatibility during depreciation.

We should make sure that all function that we want to get rid of, have
a depreciation warning when 0.8 is released so that we can remove them
in 0.9 or so

Josef