[SciPy-Dev] request for testing: SciPy 0.7.2 RC1 + NumPy 1.4.1 RC1

Bruce Southey bsouthey@gmail....
Tue Apr 6 14:44:58 CDT 2010

On 04/06/2010 10:11 AM, Ralf Gommers wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey@gmail.com
> <mailto:bsouthey@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 04/05/2010 10:33 PM, Ralf Gommers wrote:
>>

>>     On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Bruce Southey
>>     <bsouthey@gmail.com <mailto:bsouthey@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         HI,
>>         Scipy installed okay on Win7 pro 32 bit Python 2.6 but the
>>         tests were
>>         interesting.  Several times during the scipy.test() windows
>>         came and
>>         went. There are also warnings indicating some incompatibility.
>>

>>     Windows should not be popping up, unless you're also running
>>     doctests with plot commands. Any idea what they are? If not, can
>>     you narrow it down by running tests for the individual modules?
>     All I did was 'import scipy' and then run 'scipy.test()' so I do
>     did not tell it to run any doctests.
>

> So can you run the module tests?
> etc. Then maybe you can find out where those windows are coming from.
>

>>         Why is the histogram warning here? It does say removal in
>>         Numpy 1.4 so
>>         should be gone. Also, shouldn't some of the other stats
>>         functions also
>>         be removed?
>>

>>     These things should have been removed but weren't in 1.4.0, I
>>     just kept it that way. It can still be removed of course, but
>>     maybe this is better done (or already done) in trunk?
>
>     David Huard did bring the histogram issue up but apparently it was no addressed:
>     http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2009-December/047389.html
>
>     If it is not removed then can you please clarify what 'Numpy 1.4' means?
>

> Well, even though the numpy 1.4.0 binary was removed from sourceforge,
> I regarded that as 'Numpy 1.4'. So I see 1.4.1 as a bug-fix release
> for 1.4.0, not the place to remove something. Updating the docstring
> like David H. suggested makes more sense to me.
>
> That said, I don't feel strongly about it either way.
>

>>         While not your fault, we should not have these
>>         "FutureWarning" coming
>>         from the tests such as:
>>         Warning (from warnings module):
>>          File "E:\Python26\lib\site-packages\scipy\io\matlab\mio.py",
>>         line 165
>>            oned_as=oned_as)
>>         FutureWarning: Using oned_as default value ('column') This
>>         will change
>>         to 'row' in future versions
>>

>>     The test output is very chatty. Again, I wanted to keep things
>>     the same as 0.7.1 except for fixing the binary incompatibility
>>     issue. For 0.8 I think all these warnings should be cleaned up,
>>     but does it make sense to do that in this bug fix release?
>>
>>     The same goes for the build output by the way, long lists of
>>     complaints about tab characters, unused variables, etc. Would be
>>     good to start cleaning that up for 0.8.
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>     Ralf
>>
>     I understand this and know that there is a lot for scipy to
>     improve on especially in updating the tests (in my view test
> [...]
Hi,
What scipy svn version was the release candidate obtained?

The reason is that I tracked down the warning messages for some of the
stats tests that were addressed 15 months ago by changeset 5396 (time
stamp of '01/08/09 06:38:03'):
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/changeset/5396

Surely it should be based on a more recent svn version than that.

Bruce