[SciPy-Dev] preparing for scipy 0.8 release

Sun Apr 25 10:09:47 CDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 9:39 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sunday, April 25, 2010,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Gael Varoquaux
> > <gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:

> so,

> > especially also signal (Warren has been very active)
> >

> >> That last line makes me think that it would be great if it could depend
> >> on numpy 1.4 rather than numpy 2.
> >
> > Is it possible to release scipy 0.8 for numpy 1.4, and right after a
> > scipy 0.9 for numpy 2.0 with the python 3 code merged in ?
>
> It is of course possible. But it would mean tha scipy compatible With
> python 3 would come much later, at least at the current pace (1
> release per year)
>
> That pace will go up a bit I hope. If you think that python 3 support could
be added before June, then it's also possible to do a release without it in
June, and then 0.9 with it in August or September.

Even without new features, I think doing two releases (0.8 <-> 1.4.1 and 0.9
<-> 2.0) is useful. Otherwise there will probably a lot of people who can't
go to 2.0 yet because they need other libraries/programs that depend on
numpy 1.4.1, and therefore are stuck with scipy 0.7.2.

Cheers,
Ralf