[SciPy-Dev] Fortran cleanup advice?

Mon Apr 26 08:29:35 CDT 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to make a start cleaning up the build warnings. One of the
reasons it took me a while to get going with building scipy was the huge
amount of harmless(?) warnings that hide the actually significant ones.

Most warnings are from Fortran code, I count six types (examples at end of
mail):
1. Nonconforming tab character. This one's straightforward, change tabs to
spaces.
2. Unused variable.
3. Obsolete ASSIGN statement.
4. Label defined but not used.
5. Obsolete assigned GOTO statement
6. ' uninitialized.

For 2-6, is there a good way to fix these without hiding actual bugs? For
example 2 can be fixed by assigning to variable at top of subroutine with a
comment saying what's going on there, but I'm not sure it is a good idea.

Ralf

Warning: Nonconforming tab character in column 1 of line 510

build/scons/scipy/integrate/dop/dop853.f:364.42:
     &   SOLOUT,IOUT,IDID,NMAX,UROUND,METH,NSTIFF,SAFE,BETA,FAC1,FAC2,
                                         1
Warning: Unused variable meth declared at (1)

build/scons/scipy/optimize/slsqp/slsqp_optmz.f:1933.72:

   10 assign 30 to next
                                                                       1
Warning: Obsolete: ASSIGN statement at (1)

build/scons/scipy/sparse/linalg/eigen/arpack/ARPACK/SRC/znaup2.f:322.5:

   10 continue
    1
Warning: Label 10 at (1) defined but not used

build/scons/scipy/special/cdflib/dinvr.f:346.18:

      GO TO i99999
                 1
Warning: Obsolete: Assigned GOTO statement at (1)

build/scons/scipy/special/specfun/specfun.f:6598: warning: ' may be used
uninitialized in this function
'REALPART_EXPR <cf>build/scons/scipy/special/specfun/specfun.f:6598:
warning: ' may be used uninitialized in this function