[SciPy-Dev] RFR: N-dimensional interpolation

David Warde-Farley dwf@cs.toronto....
Tue Aug 31 17:24:48 CDT 2010

On 2010-08-31, at 6:01 PM, Pauli Virtanen wrote:

> What's in there is:
>
> 1) scipy.spatial.qhull
>
>   Delaunay decomposition and some associated low-level N-d geometry
>   routines.
>
> 2) scipy.interpolate.interpnd
>
>   N-dimensional interpolation:
>
>   1) Linear barycentric interpolation
>   2) Cubic spline interpolation (2D-only, C1 continuous,
>      approximately minimum-curvature).
>
> 3) scipy.interpolate.griddatand
>
>   Convenience interface to the N-d interpolation classes.

I don't know if and when I'll have occasion to use this stuff, but I'm glad it's there. Nice work, Pauli!

One comment: the name "griddatand" looks odd to my eyes, my mind wants to group it as "datand". I only mention this because it might slip past someone who's looking for "griddata" (also, does np.lookfor match partial words?). I don't really have a suggestion of another name though. "ndgriddata"? Then griddata looks a bit more separate, and it'd match scipy.ndimage.

David