[SciPy-Dev] ANN: SciPy 0.9.0 beta 1

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Mon Dec 13 15:43:21 CST 2010

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:18:13 -0800, Christoph Gohlke wrote:
[clip]
> I ran into the following issues with scipy 0.9.0b1 on Windows when
> building with msvc 9 and intel 11.1 compilers. Numpy is version 1.5.1,
> linked against MKL.
>
> 1) after patching some source files and setup scripts (see msvc9.diff
> attachment), "python setup.py bdist_winist" succeeds on 32- and 64-bit
> Python 2.6, 2.7, and 3.1. The Visual C compiler reproducibly crashes
> while compiling scipy\special\cephes\ndtr.c. Running the build command
> again (without cleaning the build directory) seems to work.

Some of that patch should end up in the tree? I'm not sure which parts,
though.

[clip]
> 2) the build process fails on Python 3.2b1 with the following errors:
>
> scipy\sparse\sparsetools\csr_wrap.cxx(2451) : error C3861:
> 'PyCObject_Import': identifier not found
> scipy\sparse\sparsetools\csr_wrap.cxx(2521) : error C3861:
> 'PyCObject_FromVoidPtr': identifier not found
> scipy\sparse\sparsetools\csr_wrap.cxx(2544) : error C3861:
> 'PyCObject_AsVoidPtr': identifier not found

It seems that the version of SWIG used there is not compatible with
Python 3.2.

> 3) 32-bit Python 2.6 is the only platform where scipy.test() finishes;
> albeit with 32 failures. Besides the Correlate complex192 and TestODR
> errors (http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/678) I get
[clip]
> FAIL: Real-valued Bessel domains
[clip]
> AssertionError: (nan, nan, nan, nan)

This indicates some issue with AMOS and ifort. What do you get from

import warnings, scipy.special as sc
warnings.simplefilter('always', sc.SpecialFunctionWarning)
sc.errprint(1)
sc.airye(-1)

It's possible that the test is too strict.

> 4) scipy.test() on Python 2.7 and 3.1 crashes as reported in ticket
> #1210 <http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/1210>

This smells like something triggering a DeprecationWarning when GIL is
released. If so, it should be compiler independent and reproducible on
wine+mingw. Or, some PyCObject/PyCapsule issue.

> 5) On 64 bit platforms, scipy.test() quits at the following test
>
> test_interpnd.TestCloughTocher2DInterpolator.test_dense ... QH6084 qhull
> internal error (qh_meminit): sizeof(void*) 8 > sizeof(ptr_intT) 4.
> Change ptr_intT in mem.h to 'long long'

Should be fixed in r7013

--
Pauli Virtanen