[SciPy-Dev] Lomb-Scargle periodogram

Pim Schellart P.Schellart@astro.ru...
Mon Dec 20 15:27:30 CST 2010

Dear SciPy developers,

in my research field of Astronomy we often encounter timeseries with uneven temporal sampling.
Such timeseries cannot be analyzed with the standard Fast Fourier Transform.
The most frequently used tool to analyze such timeseries is the Lomb-Scargle periodogram, developed by Lomb (1976) and further extended by Scargle (1982).
Currently, to my knowledge, SciPy does not include a routine to calculate such periodograms.
Therefore I would like to contribute the following code which efficiently calculates the periodogram.
It is licensed under the terms of the BSD open source license but I would be willing to release it under any other language if this is necessary for possible inclusion with SciPy.
The routine is written in Fortran 95 and wrapped with f2py, but I would be willing to rewrite it in C if required.
Also included is a Python test script.
Please provide me with any feedback in case you would consider including this.

Kind regards,

Pim Schellart