[SciPy-dev] WOT: Experiences running 64 bit Vista on a 32 bit machine

David Cournapeau david@silveregg.co...
Fri Feb 5 01:15:50 CST 2010

David Goldsmith wrote:
> Please forgive the widely OT request for input: I'm thinking about
> trying to run 64 bit Vista on my 32 bit machine (Pentium Dual-Core T4300
> @ 2x2.10Ghz); following
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions#How-do-I-tell...
> I've confirmed that I'm "64 bit capable."  Has anyone reading this far
> ;-) had a particularly positive/negative experience doing this?  Also,
> how do I determine the 64 bit linux capability of my hardware?

If windows 64 runs, linux 64 will as well; as far as OS are concerned,
64 bits mode is like a new architecture (like ppc vs intel). When the PC
starts, the kernel of whatever OS you are running will refuse to run if
it is 64 bits and you run on a 32 bits machine. The details are OS/Boot
loader dependent, but most installers will refuse to install a 64 bits
installers on a 32bits-only machine anyway. You can also run a 64 bits
VM inside a 32 bits, assuming your CPU is 64 bits capable (so you can
run 64 bits Ubuntu in vmware on top of 32 bits Ubuntu for example).

I strongly suggest using windows 7 instead of Vista if you can.

cheers,

David