[SciPy-dev] Comments on API for Matlab's eigs equivalent (computing a few eigenvalues only)

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Fri Feb 5 06:59:23 CST 2010

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 8:59 PM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:

> How does the new implementation relate to the existing implementation
> of selecting just a few eigenvalues in a range that is possible with
> the current scipy.linalg.eigh ?

Mostly a different interface (the underlying lapack function is the
same). What bothers me with the current API for eigen/svd
decompositions is the lack of consistency. The current eigh also does
not enable to look for eigenvalues in a value range (e.g. all eigen
values between 2 and 3), and I intend to add support for non-symmetric
eigenvalues as well.

cheers,

David