[SciPy-dev] cephes on Mac OS X ppc64?

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Feb 17 16:12:09 CST 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 15:48, David Warde-Farley <dwf@cs.toronto.edu> wrote:

> On 17-Feb-10, at 3:10 PM, Robert Kern wrote:
>
>> I think we test each architecture with the compiler(s) before adding
>> them to the list. It is possible that either your gcc or your gfortran
>> does not support ppc64 or we are failing to recognize that it does. Or
>> we might've dropped support for it. I think David Cournapeau was the
>> last person to touch the architecture selection code in
>> numpy.distutils.
>
> Hmm. Interesting. Doing some digging in the build log I encountered
> stuff like this:
>
> /usr/local/bin/gfortran -Wall -arch ppc -arch i686 -arch x86_64 -Wall -
> undefined dynamic_lookup -bundle build/temp.macosx-10.5-universal-2.6/
> build/src.macosx-10.5-universal-2.6/specfunmodule.o build/
> temp.macosx-10.5-universal-2.6/build/src.macosx-10.5-universal-2.6/
> fortranobject.o -Lbuild/temp.macosx-10.5-universal-2.6 -lsc_specfun -
> lgfortran -o build/lib.macosx-10.5-universal-2.6/special/specfun.so
>
> Looking at the .o's and .so's generated, gcc is definitely generating
> ppc64-capable binaries. gfortran (it's the AT&T one to which you
> usually point people) *seems* perfectly capable of generating ppc64
> binaries (it doesn't complain when run with -arch ppc64).
>
> I've upgraded to the latest gfortran from the AT&T R Tools page and
> tried mucking with FFLAGS, F90FLAGS, F77FLAGS, etc. No dice.
>
> Anyone have ideas for anything else I should try?

Check earlier in the log for where numpy.distutils is checking the
Fortran configuration. It would also be worth locating the code in
numpy/distutils/fcompiler/gnu.py that picks the architecture flags and
putting in some print statements to see what it's doing. Using the
environment variable DISTUTILS_DEBUG=1 may help.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco