[SciPy-dev] Latex and docstrings

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Fri Feb 19 08:24:52 CST 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 8:05 AM, Tom Grydeland <tom.grydeland@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 2:45 AM, Tom Grydeland <tom.grydeland@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Do you want me to fix the latex errors?
>
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 1:24 PM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, please, and make any adjustment that you find usefule.
>
> Okay, they are fixed, and I unified all the references cited also.
>
>> I didn't want to copy too much from the numpy docs since we can also
>> just refer to it. For my reading an abridged explanation refering to
>> the numpy docs, and a more complete collection of the extra parts that
>> in scipy would be useful. But we haven't had much discussion yet on
>> doc duplication between scipy and numpy (which is also relevant for
>> the descriptions of the distributions in numpy.random and
>> scipy.stats.distributions)
>
> I'm fine either way, but I think for a tutorial page for fftpack it
> seems odd to define the DCT in that level of detail and then refer
> elsewhere for the DFT definition.

I don't have a strong opinion either.
The numpy.fft module docstring is short enough (when rendered on the
webpage) that most of it can be repeated. My initial thought was that
fft in scipy could be explained more in terms of fft2 and fftn, with
examples for those. (I just recently struggled with fftn and there is
not much example code available.)
I think, the definitions and formulas should be included for all
transforms in any case.

Josef