[SciPy-dev] 0.8 release date?

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Mon Feb 22 15:18:10 CST 2010

ma, 2010-02-22 kello 10:31 +0900, David Cournapeau kirjoitti:
> Warren Weckesser wrote:
> > Is there currently a target date (even a tentative one) for the release
> > of 0.8?
>
> Not that I know of, but I think it would be good to have one. I would
> also like to have a binary release for scipy which is compatible with
> whatever version will be used for numpy based on 1.4.x branch, something
> like:
> 	- Scipy 0.8.0 and Numpy 2.0.
> 	- Scipy 0.7.2 and Numpy 1.4.x
>
> This only concerns binaries - at the source level, I think both numpy
> 1.4.x and 2.0 can be used against scipy trunk (at least the scipy trunk
> as recent as last week works well with 1.4.x, that's what I am using for
> my own work).

Do we want even to release a separate 0.7.x? I'd say this is not very
well spent work, unless (i) 0.8 will still take a long time, and (ii)
there have been substantial bug fixes.

Of course, it might be confusing to users to have separate 0.8.x
binaries for Numpy 1.4 and 2.0. Still, I'd rather add a suffix to the
version than have the minor number be different since that's also
confusing...

> The big question is whether we should release scipy 0.8.0 without caring
> about py3k compatibility at all, in which case we could aim at a release
> in April, and go into bug fixing mode only from now.

I don't have an clear idea how much work it will take to port Scipy to
Py3. I'm kind of hoping that it won't be too much: Scipy is mostly just
using the Numpy APIs which haven't really changed. Also, apart from
scipy.io, it mostly does not mess with strings too much.

One issue is also whether f2py works at all on Py3. All of its 0 unit
tests pass in Numpy SVN on Py3, so YMMV :)

	Pauli