[SciPy-dev] implement reorthogonalization method in gmres

Pauli Virtanen pav+sp@iki...
Wed Feb 24 06:07:55 CST 2010

Tue, 23 Feb 2010 20:26:02 -0500, Darcoux Christine wrote:
> It seems that the vectors produced by the Gram-Schmidt process may not
> be orthogonal (probably due to the presence of roundoff errors or when
> the matrix is ill conditionned). I would suggest to add an option to
> test for loss of orthogonality and reorthogonalize if needed. See
> http://www4.ncsu.edu/~ctk/newton/SOLVERS/nsoli.m for an example.

>From the literature, it appears that orthogonality of the Krylov vectors
is not very important for GMRES convergence, see e.g.

	A. Greenbaum, M. Rozložník, Z. Strakoš
	BIT Numerical Mathematics, 37, 706 (1997).
	http://www.springerlink.com/content/277614q38kj6q376/

The GMRES implementations in Scipy use the modified Gram-Schmid
procedure, so they should be OK in this respect.

Do you have some evidence suggesting that reorthogonalization is a
significant improvement for some problems?  I'll accept patches providing
such a flag in any case, though.

Best regards,
Pauli