[SciPy-dev] Zeta Functions !

Sun Jan 3 20:38:15 CST 2010

I don't know the reason for the names of the functions, but it appears
that the function that you should use to compute the zeta function for
an arbitrary argument is zetac(x) + 1:

In [1]: from scipy.special import zeta, zetac

In [2]: zetac(0) + 1
Out[2]: -0.5

In [3]: zetac(-1) + 1
Out[3]: -0.083333333333333259

In [4]: zetac(0.5) + 1
Out[4]: -1.4603545088095866

In [5]: zetac(1) + 1
Out[5]: 1.7014118346046923e+38

In [6]: zetac(2) + 1
Out[6]: 1.6449340668482264

In [7]: zetac(-2) + 1
Out[7]: 0.0

zeta() and zetac() are wrappers for functions from the cephes library;
you can find the source code at the end of this list:

    http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/browser/trunk/scipy/special/cephes

In the C file zeta.c, you can see that zeta(x,q) returns NaN if x < 1.0.

Of course, a SciPy user should not have to dig into the C code to find
this out.  Clearly the docstrings for zeta() and zetac() should be improved.

Warren

P.S. Be careful: don't forget the 1/2 is zero, unless you are using
Python 3.