[SciPy-dev] SciPy and vision

David Warde-Farley dwf@cs.toronto....
Tue Jan 5 00:09:28 CST 2010

On 4-Jan-10, at 5:33 PM, Keith Curtis wrote:

> I hope the image processing SciKit is easy to install and use once
> SciPy is setup. The dependency on OpenCV is a bit of a hassle
> because then you have to deal with the OpenCV build issues, but I
> think as an incremental solution that is fine.

I've been a bit out of the loop w.r.t. the scikit but as I understand
it the OpenCV dependency is strictly optional to get the
scikits.image.opencv subpackage. And I imagine it is seen as a stopgap
solution.

> But big chunks of OpenCV is code already implemented by SciPy so the
> native / natural port would be a lot smaller. Unlike JPEG converters
> or other things that make sense to just call from Python, vision
> code is not mature like this yet.
>
> In fact, I don't understand why there are so many slightly different
> algorithms which appear to do the same things. (Anyone know?) I
> wonder if it is like "sort" where there are many different ways to
> do it, but in reality just a handful are enough for an entire
> industry. Or maybe not, but today it does require a native Python
> stack to let people easily experiment. With OpenCV, you can use the
> Python wrappers, but if you want to change what the code under the
> wrappers is doing, your task just got a lot harder.

IMO Cython can help a lot here with the algorithmic heavy-lifting.
It's nearly as easy as writing Python code and can be incrementally
optimized i.e. only optimize the stuff that your profiling tells you
is a bottleneck.

David