[SciPy-dev] Is "Creative Commons: Attribution" an acceptable license for datasets included in scipy ?

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Tue Jan 12 09:12:34 CST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 05:01:14PM +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>>      Everything is in the title - I have some new IO code for
>> scipy.sparse I would like to include in scipy, and the tests include
>> some dataset under this license. Should I remove them before inclusion ?
>
> I believe you must: the attribution clause is not free by OSI definition.
> In addition, I am pretty sure that none of the CC licenses are DFSG-free
> up to version 3.0 (don't ask me why).

cc-by looks pretty innocent for bundling with a package, especially if
it's only used for tests and for examples and not part of the main
program (like icons or sound).

Bundling doesn't look infectious and the user is free to make use of
them or not. Attribution for bundling doesn't look more restrictive
than including the copyright statement for BSD lisencend code.

In statsmodels, we have several datasets,  some public domain, some
with authorization by the author, but sometimes it is not very clear
whether a dataset is copyrightable or not.

Although, I haven't seen any cc-by datasets in econometrics that I
remember,  and cc-by-nc looks clearly inconsistent.

Are there some guidelines somewhere what would be consistent with this
kind of bundling of datasets (tests and examples)?

US government data is nice because it's all public domain.

But there are a lot of efforts to make data more widely available, e.g.
http://www.ckan.net
http://opendefinition.org/licenses

Sorry, if this expands too much on the original question, but this is
bugging me for a while.

Josef