[SciPy-dev] RFC: initial support for Harwell-Boeing files

David Cournapeau david@silveregg.co...
Sun Jan 17 23:28:11 CST 2010

Hi,

I have added basic support for Harwell-Boeing file format support, for
sparse matrices. I would be happy to receive to get some reviews on the
API before pushing this into the trunk, as well as bug reports from
people who have matrices in such a format:

http://github.com/cournape/scipy3/tree/hb_io

The code is in scipy.sparse.io. Two API are supported:
   - a simple, function-based one: read_hb(filename) and
write_hb(filename, m)
   - a more complete API based on HBFile and HBInfo, to control the
exact format, get the metadata when reading. The simple API is just
sugar on top on this one

For now, only read/write is supported for Real, Unsymmetric, Assembled
matrices, as that's what I need.

There is also some code to deal with fortran-formatted field: maybe this
can be useful outside HB IO, although I only parse a limited subset of
fortran format for now (exponential format and integer format).

cheers,

David