[SciPy-dev] Genetic Algorithms module in scikits.learn

Bruce Southey bsouthey@gmail....
Fri Jan 22 09:24:58 CST 2010

On 01/21/2010 03:55 AM, Fabian Pedregosa wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm trying to maintain and release scikits.learn[1], and for historical
> reasons there's a module for genetic algorithms in this package.
>
> As the module does not quite fit the package's thematic, has references
> to scipy.ga (which has moved to scipy.sandbox and is no longer
> maintained) and there are already some great genetic algorithm
> frameworks in Python, I'm rather inclined to remove this from scikits.learn.
>
> If there are no objections, I'll remove that module from scikits.learn,
> but just wanted to say that I've uploaded the code to github [2] in case
> someone finds it useful or is willing to maintain.
>

> Thanks,
>
> ~fabian

Hi,
Great that you are doing this!

I have no interest in genetic algorithms as such but know people do use
it for machine learning.

I would support just depreciating the genetic algorithm component in
scikit.learn and then within a release or two you can remove it. While I
know it is a scikit, numpy and scipy have a long history of providing
adequate notification and learn has been available with it in for quite
some time.

Ultimately it is your decision not mine but please make it very clear
that genetic algorithms have been removed.

Regards
Bruce