[SciPy-dev] Genetic Algorithms module in scikits.learn

Fabian Pedregosa fabian.pedregosa@inria...
Fri Jan 22 09:45:20 CST 2010

Bruce Southey wrote:
> On 01/21/2010 03:55 AM, Fabian Pedregosa wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I'm trying to maintain and release scikits.learn[1], and for historical
>> reasons there's a module for genetic algorithms in this package.
>>
>> As the module does not quite fit the package's thematic, has references
>> to scipy.ga (which has moved to scipy.sandbox and is no longer
>> maintained) and there are already some great genetic algorithm
>> frameworks in Python, I'm rather inclined to remove this from scikits.learn.
>>
>> If there are no objections, I'll remove that module from scikits.learn,
>> but just wanted to say that I've uploaded the code to github [2] in case
>> someone finds it useful or is willing to maintain.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> ~fabian
>>

> Hi,
> Great that you are doing this!
>
> I have no interest in genetic algorithms as such but know people do use
> it for machine learning.
>
> I would support just depreciating the genetic algorithm component in
> scikit.learn and then within a release or two you can remove it. While I
> know it is a scikit, numpy and scipy have a long history of providing
> adequate notification and learn has been available with it in for quite
> some time.

Hi Bruce!. Thanks for you interest.

I would not mind shipping the genetic algorithm in this release
(scheduled in two weeks), but main problem is that it uses scipy.ga,
which not there anymore (at least in svn), so I do not want to ship
something that completely fails to import and is largely untested ...