[SciPy-dev] Difference between polynomial.trimcoef and trimseq

Sun Jan 24 00:42:50 CST 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 11:08 PM, David Goldsmith
<d.l.goldsmith@gmail.com>wrote:

> Do you think a typical user would ever use both?  (Or is this an efficiency
> that most can live w/out?  I'm just curious how much we should "explain
> ourselves" in their docstrings.)

Hard to say ;) I wrote the docstrings for the helper funtions mostly for my
own use and think of those helper functions as private. They are in the
standard import just in case anyone wants to do their own stuff.

> PS: If I were to use chebyshev as my "template," what would you say is the
> next most useful/algorithmically-studied polynomial basis to implement?

The power/Chebyshev series have the special property that it is easy to
multiply/divide them, so the template needs to lose a few features to be
useful for functions where that is far more difficult. Multiplication by x
should be sufficient for most things, in particular evaluation and
conversion to/from other series. Apart from that, I think Legendre
polynomials would fit in well. There was a request for Hermite polynomials,
which shouldn't be difficult in principle, but perhaps more so in practice
because there are two versions that go under that name but have different
scalings. It is also more difficult to assign a fixed domain for them
because the domain essentially expands with the degree. But I don't think
those difficulties are fundamental.

Chuck