[SciPy-Dev] SciPy docs: volunteers needed now!

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Sat Jul 3 03:04:28 CDT 2010

On 2 July 2010 14:14, Joe Harrington <jh@physics.ucf.edu> wrote:
>> I wonder whether there is any other approach that we can explore to
>> help generate more volunteer work?    Do you think it is mainly the
>> difference between scipy and numpy that explains the drop-off?   Or
>> something else?    To the extent that it is the technical differences
>> - do you think there would be any point in trying to establish
>> something like nominated experts or want-to-find-out type experts who
>> will offer to advise on particular parts of scipy - even if they don't
>> themselves write the docstrings?   Or anything else that might help?
>
> We already looked for topical experts.  We have a few; David can
> comment more.  In the end what we need are rank-and-file writers,
> people who will take something on, learn about it, and write about it.
> Yes, SciPy is more technical, but we've all dealt with harder tasks
> than documenting SciPy.

All the posts I have seen talk about achieving higher word counts,
covering more functions, going bigger and better.  While that's
certainly what we want, such requests may be intimidating to new
contributors.

My feeling is that we should identify a small handful of functions to
focus on.  That way, we may only document 10 functions a week, but at
least those will get done.  Emanuelle's suggestion to target specific
writers also seems sensible.

Regards
Stéfan