[SciPy-Dev] Documenting distributions, advice?

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith@gmail....
Tue Jul 6 11:08:35 CDT 2010

At Josef's request, I marked all the distributions unimportant - he asked
that they not be worked on for the time being.  Josef, would you still
prefer people to leave these alone for now?

DG

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Skipper Seabold <jsseabold@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was just playing with the Gamma distribution (sicpy.stats.gamma) and
> > I found it hard to work out how the distribution related to the
> > standard sources on the topic.   I think I'm getting there now, but
> > I'm wondering whether there is anywhere some advice on documenting
> > scipy.stats.distributions?  For example, it looks as if there is only
> > the 'extradoc' docstring addition for any specific distribution - is
> > that right?
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> >
> > Matthew
>
> After spending the last few days with the distributions trying to fix
> one thing, I am also wondering about this and other questions with
> respect to the distributions (more to come later...).
>
> At the risk of telling you things you already know, I usually start here:
>
> <http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy-docs/tutorial/stats.rst/#stats>
>
> Then click on say 'continuous distributions' link towards the top to
> see the LaTeX math
>

> http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy-docs/tutorial/stats/continuous.rst/#continuous-random-variables
>
> Then I go back and forth between Wikipedia to back out what our
> parameters mean since they are often not standard (with Wikipedia
> being standard, of course...).
>
> I am willing to get involved in the docs marathon with the stats
> stuff.  Josef, Ralf, others, I know you have worked on this issue much
> more than I.  Any thoughts for streamlining things and making the
> distributions a little easier to work with?  I, for one, am willing to
> give up some of the "autodoc'ing" (and do the work that this means) if
> it would improve anything from a user or developer standpoint.  Maybe
> we can add a notes section, since there is a note not to use extradoc
> (?), for noting things like differing parameterizations of the
> distributions in the literature.
>
> Skipper

by Robert Graves)