[SciPy-Dev] Documenting distributions, advice?

Thu Jul 8 05:58:36 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 6:14 AM, <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:
> > Tue, 06 Jul 2010 09:08:35 -0700, David Goldsmith wrote:
> >> At Josef's request, I marked all the distributions unimportant - he
> >> asked that they not be worked on for the time being.  Josef, would you
> >> still prefer people to leave these alone for now?
> >
> > I think this only concerns the doc editor.
> >
> > The docstrings can of course be worked on, if one just edits them
> > directly in the sources, and e.g., submits patches or Git branches. Here
> > we just have to fall back to ye olde way of doing things at the moment.
>
> As far as I understand, only the initial creation of the class docstring of
> distribution needs to be committed to source, once a distribution has
> the docstring, then I think anyone could edit in the doc editor.

http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy.stats.distributions.maxwell_gen/

Good point, I hadn't actually realized this. The maxwell docstring shows the
expanded version and maxwell_gen the version with %()s's. The downside is
still that you can only see the final expanded result after the _gen version
has been committed to svn. Therefore a git branch may still be the way to
go.

> The template itself and the generic docstring can only be edited in the
> source.
>
> Correct.

> I don't remember this part when the templating system was created: I think,
> because all public methods, pdf, cdf, sf,..., are inherited, they cannot be
> edited with version specific information.
>
> If you mean distname.pdf.__doc__ you're right, but you can certainly
customize the pdf/cdf/etc info in distname.__doc__.

Cheers,
Ralf