[SciPy-Dev] documenting fortran wrapped functions, was:Problems with documentation of scipy.interpolate.dfitpack

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Fri Jul 9 02:33:43 CDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Vincent Davis <vincent@vincentdavis.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 10:09 PM, bowie_22 <m.boumans@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Hello together,
>>
>> I tried to contribute to the documentation of scipy.
>> I found out that the whole
>>
>> scipy.interpolate.dfitpack
>>
>> package seems to be a little bit different.
>>
>> It is not possible to view the code.
>> You get 404 File not found error.
>>
>> Is there no source code available for dfitpack?
>> If so, how is the documentation handled?
>
> I think the first line in the doc editor says it all.
> "This module 'dfitpack' is auto-generated with f2py (version:2_8473).
> Functions:"
> I think this is the source
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/browser/trunk/scipy/interpolate/src/fitpack.pyf
>
> Vincent

Many of the fortran based functions are underdocumented, e.g.
lapack/blas in linalg, most functions in special, often the fortran
files contain quite extensive documentation. But it seems in some
cases like dfitpack, some documentation are autogenerated.

Just a question because I don't have the time to look into this:
Do we need to mark f2py wrapped functions as "unimportant", or can we
make sure every f2py wrapped function has a editable docstring?

Josef