[SciPy-Dev] Function of the :mod: wiki function

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith@gmail....
Sat Jul 10 04:00:35 CDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 7:41 PM, Keith Goodman <kwgoodman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 6:48 PM, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > In docstrings like that for numpy.fft, which in edit mode begins:
> >
> > Discrete Fourier Transform (:mod:`numpy.fft`)
> > =================================
> >
> > what's the function of the :mod:?  All it seems to do on being rendered
> by
> > the Wiki is generate a link back to it's own document.
>
> Yep, that's all it does. mod stands for module. So it is a link to the
> numpy.fft module where the link text will be the name of the module.
> You can change the link text :mod:`yourword <numpy.fft>`.

Ah, that's what I was missing; still, what's the point of having a circular
reference, even by another name, or is it only a circular reference in the
Wiki 'cause the docstring is all the Wiki pulls for any object?

DG

> Besides mod
> there is func for function and meth for method and a bunch of others I
> don't remember.

by Robert Graves)