[SciPy-Dev] scikits contribution?

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Wed Jul 14 16:50:09 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel@vcn.com> wrote:
> I did register at http://projects.scipy.org/scikits with the username
> "jjstickel".  The wiki page indicates that this is all that is needed to
> edit the wiki, but I do not see a "Edit this page" link.  So it does
> seem that someone needs to give me permission.  I also need permission
> for commit access to svn.scipy.org/svn/scikits/.

Hey Jonathan,

Thanks for contributing a new scikit!

Unfortunately, it is a bit tedious to create accounts on the existing
subversion system and there is no way to separate developer accounts
between the various scikits.  If you really want to use subversion, I
would create a sourceforge project.  For example, that is where the
scikits.learn project is hosted:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/scikit-learn
Otherwise, I would recommend using github or one of the other dvcs
hosting sites.

In the near future (over the next month or so) it looks increasingly
likely that we will be moving numpy and possibly scipy to git/github,
so the existing scikits subversion repository will probably get moved
over and broken up as well.

The official scikits registry is here:  http://scikits.appspot.com/
Any package named "scikits.xyz" on the Python Packaging Index will be
included on the scikits.appspot.com website automatically.  So there
is no advantage to having commit access to the subversion site and
there are several disadvantages such as it is slow, there isn't an
obvious way to get account access, and it may disappear soon (assuming
we move to github).

Best,
Jarrod