[SciPy-Dev] scikits contribution?

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Fri Jul 16 00:02:18 CDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel@vcn.com> wrote:
> On 7/15/10 15:14 , scipy-dev-request@scipy.org wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 20:02:52 +0000 (UTC)
>  > From: Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi>
>  > Subject: Re: [SciPy-Dev] scikits contribution?
>  > To: scipy-dev@scipy.org
>> Jonathan Stickel wrote: [clip]
>> [clip: distutils error]
>> python2.6/distutils/command/upload.py",

>> I think I remember seeing this too. This is some distutils bug, I think...
>>
>> My "fix" was just to edit the "distutils/command/upload.py" and replace
>>
>>       value = value[1]
>>
>> on line 133 by the obvious
>>
>>       if len(value)>  1:
>>           value = value[1]
>>       else:
>>           value = ""
>>
>> and hope for the best. Or maybe I ran "upload" on a separate line from
>> the "sdist" and "bdist".
>>
>> This is maybe not how it should go.
>>
>> You can also upload the tarballs on the PyPi website.
>
> Ah, this seems to be it.  I uploaded the egg using the website.

It would be better to upload also the sdist,
Since scikits.datasmooth is pure python, an egg doesn't really have an
advantage and is specific to a python version, py2.6 only.
(I'm on py25)

Why do you have the code duplication in two modules and the
conditional import in __init__.py ?
try:
    from regularsmooth import *
except ImportError as error:

What is the import error that might occur with regularsmooth ?

Also an example to quickly try out the scikit would be very useful.
(And tests and docs are not included yet.)

Thanks,

Josef