[SciPy-Dev] replacing integrate.cumtrapz with numpy.trapz

Sat Jul 17 08:48:19 CDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 7:38 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers@googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 8:57 PM, Charles R Harris <
> charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 2:42 AM, Ralf Gommers <
>> ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> integrate.cumtrapz and numpy.trapz do exactly the same thing and the code
>>> is very similar but not identical, as pointed out in
>>> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/720. Assuming numpy.trapz is not
>>> going anywhere, can we replace the scipy version with it?
>>>
>>> For a small bonus, the numpy version is about 10% faster (tested for
>>> several array shapes):
>>> 10000 loops, best of 3: 182 us per loop
>>> 1000 loops, best of 3: 209 us per loop
>>>

>> Replacement seems reasonable to me. We should try to prune duplicate
>> functionality with numpy taking precedence.
>>
>> Just to double check, that also means deprecating the name cumtrapz right?

Yes, I think so. And maybe a ticket to remove it later although that means
having versions in trac for future releases. Maybe we should have a
"deprecated" component so we can use such tickets.

Chuck