[SciPy-Dev] Required Python Version

Nathaniel Smith njs@pobox....
Sat Jul 17 09:13:56 CDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 5:25 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 8:06 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Yes, a lot of "enterprise ready"  distributions still use python 2.4
>> (RHEL, Centos).
>>
> That's not a convincing argument for an infinite amount of time. People who
> value "enterprise ready" meaning they run ancient stuff should be perfectly
> fine with numpy 1.4 + scipy 0.8 for a long time from now. And otherwise they
> can upgrade python itself quite easily. 2.4 doesn't even get security
> updates anymore.

Your argument makes sense to me (and this decision doesn't affect me
either way), but it isn't actually an infinite amount of time --
RHEL6, which ships python 2.6, is coming out in a matter of months.

Someone should probably poll the -users list in any case -- people
running from SVN are not necessarily a representative sample of the
user base :-)

-- Nathaniel