[SciPy-Dev] Required Python Version

Sun Jul 18 01:21:36 CDT 2010

2010/7/17 David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Ralf Gommers
> <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 8:06 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Yes, a lot of "enterprise ready"  distributions still use python 2.4
>>> (RHEL, Centos).
>>>
>> That's not a convincing argument for an infinite amount of time. People who
>> value "enterprise ready" meaning they run ancient stuff should be perfectly
>> fine with numpy 1.4 + scipy 0.8 for a long time from now.
>
> That's not true in my experience. 2 years ago I used those "ancient" stuff.
>
>> And otherwise they
>> can upgrade python itself quite easily.
>
> that's not true at all. True, you can update python itself easily, but
> updating things like pygtk or pyqt are near impossible without the
> support of IT staff (because you generally lacks X11 headers, or gcc
> is too old).
>
>>  2.4 doesn't even get security
>> updates anymore.
>
> That's not exactly true - python developers will not give security
> updates, but I think RH may still do so.
>
>> We now support python 2.4-2.6, for the next versions we'll add 2.7, 3.1 and
>> 3.2. Supporting more versions has a cost. And it's clear that the amount of
>> people running 2.4 from svn is at or close to zero, because recent syntax
>> errors for 2.4 have gone unnoticed for a long period.
>
> People running svn are a small proportion of our userbase. And the 2.4
> support cost is fairly minimal IMO. Certainly, 2.4 support is more
> important than 3.x at this point.

Hi,

I cannot agree more with David. We are still running RHEL 4 on several
hundreds computers, and we still are heavilly using SLES 10.1 which
comes with 2.4 (IIRC). Migrating these computers is a lengthy task
which is only done every few years (few = 4-5 years for RHEL, we are
starting to jump to 5.2 which has... 2.4).

Matthieu
--
Information System Engineer, Ph.D.
Blog: http://matt.eifelle.com