[SciPy-Dev] Clarification: is the Extended Summary section optional?

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Tue Jun 1 15:40:12 CDT 2010

On 1 June 2010 13:32, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith@gmail.com> wrote:
> The docstring Standard seems to be careful to note which sections are
> considered optional, and the "Extended Summary" is *not* on that list.
> However, I'm encountering many SciPy docstrings in the Wiki lacking this
> section and yet marked as "Needs review": should I ignore this deficiency
> and add a ticket to clarify the Standard, or should such docstrings be moved
> back to "Being written"?

Typically, there is no reason not to have an extended section.  Can
you give an example where it would seem unnecessary?  Unless those
functions mentioned above are exceptional, we should probably add
blurbs for them.

Regards
Stéfan