[SciPy-Dev] git on windows (was: scipy.stats)

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Tue Jun 1 22:07:43 CDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Josef,
>
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 1:31 PM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My main problem with git was the treatment of the file system, and I
>> find it much easier to work with separate branches as in bzr or
>> mercurial.
>
> One thing I've found very useful after transitioning to git for
> IPython is the git new-workdir command:
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/git/2008/5/21/1900044
> http://nuclearsquid.com/writings/git-new-workdir.html
>
> It lets me keep a few branches around that I want 'permanent' on my
> filesystem, in a bzr shared-repo style, while using git for the
> lightweight feature-only branches.  This is how it looks like right
> now on my system:

thanks very useful information , git-new-workdir seems to be what I would like.
Does it work on Windows?

last year I didn't find any way to do this. I haven't updated git
since then and I don't see any git-new-workdir in the git folders.
(But maybe I deleted it when I switched from the full 1.x GB git
install to the light version - without mingw and the kitchen sink)

Josef