[SciPy-Dev] git on windows (was: scipy.stats)

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Tue Jun 1 22:39:53 CDT 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 8:07 PM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Josef,
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 1:31 PM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> My main problem with git was the treatment of the file system, and I
>>> find it much easier to work with separate branches as in bzr or
>>> mercurial.
>>
>> One thing I've found very useful after transitioning to git for
>> IPython is the git new-workdir command:
>>
>> http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/git/2008/5/21/1900044
>> http://nuclearsquid.com/writings/git-new-workdir.html
>>
>> It lets me keep a few branches around that I want 'permanent' on my
>> filesystem, in a bzr shared-repo style, while using git for the
>> lightweight feature-only branches.  This is how it looks like right
>> now on my system:
>
> thanks very useful information , git-new-workdir seems to be what I would like.
> Does it work on Windows?

Sadly - probably not without a little hacking...

http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=99

But, if you think you need it, the script is so short that it would
only take a short time to port to python (it's in sh):

http://git.kernel.org/?p=git/git.git;a=blob_plain;f=contrib/workdir/git-new-workdir;hb=HEAD

I see there are symbolic links there, that will require a little fancy
footwork on windows, as you know.

If I have time I'll give it a go.

See you,

Matthew